Monday, March 16, 2009

Sometimes You Just Have to Try

Fascinated by its mysterious appearance, I have been looking down the hill from Agape for many nights now, watching the changing pattern of the light coming through this back window of the kitchen.

The fantastical design is being created, in part, by the accumulation of snow that slides from the roof above. Here at Holden, that phenomenon is called a roof-a-lanche. With the continued accumulation of snow and with temperatures that edge above the freezing point during the day, sheets of snow lose their grip and gravity takes care of the rest.

The other contributor to the design is additional snowfall. We have had amazing amounts of snow to fall in the past few days. I am told that this type of extended activity is what usually happens early on in the winter and is why Holden gets closer to 300 inches of snow each year rather than the paltry 170+ inches we have had so far this winter season.

Last night, I stood at my window looking down at this window, and even though I knew for certain that the picture would be less than stellar, I had to get my winter gear on again and go down the hill and try. The snow was falling, falling, falling, so I was pleased to capture any image at all.

It was just a lovely scene.

No comments: