Thursday, July 23, 2009

Window Seat Ruminations near the Final Destination of a Late Night Flight


The lair of God
Is without limits,
But must be searched
For signs of a presence.

From below,
By looking up.

From above,
By looking down.

Where
Just now,
At the very edge
Of the far horizon,
Lightning
Bursts unexpectedly into a dome
Of jittery and violent fire,
Shattering at once the darkness,
And then subsiding.

Where, too,
In this moment,
On the vast plain
Of darkness below,
Light
From scattered cities
Collects in tremulous pools
And wrests from obscurity
The physical sense of human habitation.

Where,
To the east,
By infinitesimal degrees,
The ambient air
Slowly silvers
Until it surrenders
To a slash
Of crimson and orange.

In continuing the miracle
Of its incessant turning,
Earth
Rolls its face
Once more
Toward the sun.

And it is there,
Just there,
In the first moments of a new dawn,
In the first fullness of received light,
That God's presence
Is revealed.

Made manifest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gonna try again...

Hi Wanda,

I'm trying to get a hold of my mom Nona. I'm assuming you are at Holden right now but I'm not sure considering your latest blog entry.

anyway, I need to ask her a question about the sprinkler system. It's going to be really hot here for quite a few days in a row and I want to make sure the sprinklers are set the way they should be. Can you have her send me an email? Is that even possible? If not, no problem, I'll just do the best I can.

thanks so much!
mary sabatka
email: mssabatka@yahoo.com